Hey there! I’ve been trying to get this one right for a while now… It’s really hard to make a healthier version of muffins simply because they require loads of butter, sugar and flour… which is kind of a triple threat for the body (Saturated FAT + refined SUGAR = DISASTER).
I have come to the conclusion that sugar creates some kind of addiction, either in the mind or the body. After you got some, you just crave more and more. Every time I break the cycle (going sugar free for a while) I feel AMAZING, it’s like I have much more energy and stamina (even though I ingest much less calories, hence calories not always provide the right energy). So when I surrender to sugar I really feel like S#%T!! The less toxins your body has the worst you feel when you it processed sugars… 😛
Well, you get the point… sugar sucks people! Raw cane sugar is not so bad, but I’m not a fun of it either, because to get any kind of sugar some sort of process went on, and thats usually not a good sign. My go to sweetener is usually raw honey, because there is not really much of a process going on. My mother always gives me honey from their “campo” and I know it comes straight from the bees 🙂 lucky me! But any local raw honey is great too! Remember: LOCAL and RAW.
So, for these incredibly moist and soft muffins I used raw honey and ground oats (replacing sugar and flour, respectively). To make sure this recipe is gluten free, you need to get rolled oats that are certified gluten free. You can’t joke around with this one if you have a gluten intolerance or sensitivity. If you don’t have any issues with gluten and you don’t find GF rolled oats, then you can buy regular oats ;).
What’s great about these muffins? They are:
What???!!! Yes, I know, unbelievable.
Here’s what you need guys, dig in!
Gluten Free Banana Blueberry Muffins
(serves: 8 mini muffins)
- 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats (replaces flour)
- 1/8 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 organic egg
- 1 tbsp full fat greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil (replaces butter)
- 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 cup local raw honey (replaces sugar)
- 1 very ripe mashed banana
- 2 tbsp blueberries
- pre heat oven at 160º
- process the oats into a flour-like consistency
- add chopped walnuts, baking powder and chia seeds and process a few more seconds
- on very low heat, mix coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon and honey in a saucepan. Stir frequently until obtaining a syrup-like consistency
- lightly beat the egg on a separate bowl and add in the yogurt
- add both wet mixes to the dry mix and fold in the banana and blueberries
- fill small muffin paper liners with the mixture and bake for 30 minutes at 160ºc
- remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Then you can enjoy 🙂
Now you’ve got delicious muffins to enjoy for tea time, weekend brunch, or on the go! No one will guess they are actually wholesome, even my husband begs me for this muffins!
Sit down… relax… and enjoy 🙂