Let’s agree that we all love chocolate (at least most people do), and if we could we’d have it all day, with every meal. But the truth is that most chocolates on the market are full of processed sugars and unhealthy fats that wreck all the good stuff on cacao, which is the origin to all goodness. Cacao is the raw form of dark chocolate, and it’s what everyone is talking about when studies show that chocolate is good for you. Cacao nibs are the raw, dehydrated and crushed cocoa bean, prior to adding sugar and milk to make it delicious. It is loaded with heart healthy antioxidants that prevent disease and lower cholesterol. A compound called theobromine gives caffeination without the jitters. And cacao is also a fantastic source of magnesium which seems to help with PMS symptoms. So yes, ladies, you’re welcome and encouraged to reach for raw chocolate around that time of the month.
So, given that we all have sugar cravings that need to be fulfilled, I thought about presenting a great option for those moments: choco-banana popsicles! These are great for parties, dinner with friends or just to have on hand for any sudden sweet craving. Easy to make and insanely delicious, you won’t believe its only made up of four simple and nutritious ingredients: Bananas are a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Potassium and Manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin B6. Coconut oil (raw and extra virgin version) is composed of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), saturated fat that can help to lower cholesterol and balance HDL-to-LDL ratios. MCTs can also improve energy and aid in weight loss. Unlike other fats, MCTs are sent directly to the liver for use, giving the body a burst of energy, rather than being stored as fat. Coconut oil is also nature’s richest source of lauric acid (a type of MCT), which is abundant in breast milk and has strong anti-infective properties. It has also been shown to stimulate the thyroid while balancing blood sugar, hence it increases metabolism. Raw Honey is a great sugar substitute due to its immune system benefits.
(makes 3-4 servings)
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- Cut each banana into four/five pieces (about the size of a popsicle) and place wooden sticks in each piece and freeze for at least 3 hours.
- When bananas are frozen, melt the coconut oil and the honey in very low heat and remove from fire. Add the cacao powder and mix well. Put the chocolate sauce in a cup that is not very wide (makes it easier for the chocolate dipping).
- Remove banana pieces from freezer and dip them in the chocolate sauce (as soon as the banana piece has been dipped in the chocolate sauce turn it continuously so the chocolate doesn’t drip). Place the popsicles on a plate and they’re ready to taste!
Con cuatro super ingredients se crean estas deliciosas choco-bananas heladas para disfrutar en cualquier momento.
- 2 bananas bien maduras
- 1/4 taza de aceite de coco extra virgen (dificil de conseguir, se ofrece en dietéticas especializadas)
- 1/4 taza de cacao en polvo (sin azucar, y en lo posible que sea “raw”)
- 2 cdas soperas de miel organica
- cortar cada banana en cuatro y colocar a cada pedazo un palito en el medio. congelar por 3 horas.
- una vez cumplidas las 3 horas, derretir el aceite con la miel en una cacerola a fuego muy bajo. apagar el fuego e incorporar el cacao mezclando firmemente. Pasar el chocolate liquido a una taza angosta.
- retirar las bananas del freezer y bañar cada pedacito en el chocolate, girando constantemente del palillo hasta que se endurezca el chocolate en la banana. colocar en un plato y disfrutar ;).